Minutes of the Annual General Meeting on Tuesday, 14th July, 2020 held in Phoenix Hall at 7.30 p.m.

Download this document

---
Parish Councillors Present:Cllr. Alan WoodChairman
Cllr. Michael Beckingham
Cllr. Mrs .Corrine Gowman
Cllr. Greg Morgan
Cllr. Victoria Jago
Cllr. Mrs. Sheila Symes
Cllr. Simon Vaughan-Edwards
In Attendance:Cllr. Ian Blair-PillingWiltshire Councillor
Neil Darg-ForsythClerk to the Council
1 Member of the public

20/5

ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN

It was RESOLVED that Cllr. Alan Wood be elected as Chairman of Fittleton Parish Council for the year 2020/21.

20/6

DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE

The Chairman signed the Declaration of Acceptance of Office.

20/7

ELECTION OF VICE-CHAIRMAN

It was RESOLVED that Cllr. Simon Vaughan-Edwards be elected as Vice-Chairman of Fittleton Parish Council for the year 2020/21.

20/8

APOLOGIES

No apologies were received.

20/9

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Cllr. Alan Wood declared an interest in agenda item 9, Phoenix Hall Management Procedures as Secretary of the Phoenix Hall Management Committee.

20/10

MINUTES

It was RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 10th March, 2020 be accepted as a true record.

It was RESOLVED that the minutes of the planning meeting held on 9th June, 2020 be accepted as a true record.

20/11

ELECTION OF COMMITTEES AND REPRESENTATIVE ON OTHER GROUPS

The following people were elected:

Planning Committee: Cllr. Victoria Jago and Cllr. Corrine Gowman

Rights of Way: Cllr. Simon Vaughan-Edwards

Transport and Highways: Cllr. Greg Morgan

Phoenix Hall: Cllr. Michael Beckingham

Allotments Cllr. Sheila Symes

Tidworth Area Board: Cllr. Alan Wood and Neil Darg-Forsyth

Jubilee Committee: Cllr. Alan Wood

 

20/12

REPORTS AND UPDATES

a.      Planning

20/05101/TCA WORK TO TREES IN A CONSERVATION AREA to fell two sycamore trees at The Green Vine, Fittleton.

Parish Council Comments: No objection

The council noted that no full planning application had been received for the listed building, but the new owner was expected to move in soon. Cllr. Wood agreed to speak to the new owner.

 

b.      Footpaths and Rights of Way

A concerned resident had reported to Cllr. Wood that four trees in The Warren were leaning and only supported by their top branches in other trees. The Clerk had reported them to Landmarc, who had arranged for a site visit on 14th July.

 

c.      Allotments

Cllr. Symes reported that all allotments have been taken, and all rents received. Quotes are needed for fence maintenance.

 

d.     Phoenix Hall

Cllr. Wood reported recent improvements in the Phoenix Hall including: painting and redecorating; new exit doors; new disabled toilet pan; and new water taps.

Recent fundraising efforts included: race night £1,500; Co-op donation; and Wiltshire Council grant £10,000.

 

e.      Highways

A resident had requested the litter bin on The Pound to be relocated further from the bench due to the smell of dog mess in the bin. A request to relocate the same bin was rejected at the November 2019 Council meeting. It was agreed that the Clerk would ask Wiltshire Council to move the litter bin further away from the bench.

Post Meeting Note: Mary Towle has advised that Wiltshire Council is unlikely to have funds to move the bin. Fittleton Council may need to pay for the relocation and then inform Wiltshire Council of the new location.

 

f.      Jubilee Committee

Nothing to report.

20/13

NEW PHOENIX HALL MANAGEMENT PROCEDURES

An electronic copy had been circulated by email to all Councillors in advance of the meeting. The Hall Management Committee chairman, Charles Coslett, and Hall Management Committee secretary, Cllr. Wood, had reviewed the existing documents and identified there were inconsistencies between the existing documents. They had drafted the new proposed new procedures. 

The Lease and Trust Deed contained duties of the landlord and the tenant; and also details of how to run the village hall, including the number and type of trustees. The Charity Commission has stated that the landlord should not decide how to run the hall.

The current Phoenix Hall Handbook, which is based on the “how to run a village hall” section of the Lease and Trust Deed, has been updated and renamed the Phoenix Hall Management Procedures.

The new procedures need approval from Netheravon and Fittleton Parish Councils, the Phoenix Hall AGM and the Charity Commission. Cllr. Wood proposed adoption of the new Phoenix Hall Management Procedures.

It was RESOLVED that the Parish Council would adopt the new Phoenix Hall Management Procedures.

20/14

REPORT BY WILTSHIRE COUNCILLOR, IAN BLAIR-PILLING

A hard-copy report was received from Cllr. Blair-Pilling in the meeting and is summarised below. An electronic copy was received after the meeting and circulated by email to all Councillors.

Many Councils are facing bankruptcy, but not Wiltshire – the chance is very low. Income has dropped and costs and services have gone up; the Council will need to dip into its reserves. Councils can carry deficits forward for up to three years to help with in-year finances.

Wiltshire Council is currently in the COVID-19 Response phase, but is about to move into the COVID-19 Recover phase, which will operate in parallel with the Respond activities.

Wiltshire Council has streamlined its management team and has downsized from two to a single Chief Executive Officer. As a result of these changes Cllr. Blair-Pilling is now in charge of Leisure and Libraries. A consultation on re-opening libraries has commenced.

Tel: 01980 670812:  mobile: 07518 942216  email:  ian.blair-pilling@wiltshire.gov.uk.

20/15

PARISH MATTERS

Cllr. Wood listed the matters arising from the Annual Parish Meeting held on Tuesday, 10th March 2020.

 

a.      Tidy footpath between Netheravon and Haxton. Need to ask Parish Steward. Cllr. Wood proposed that Cllr. Vaughan-Edwards should take over liaison with the Parish Steward., which was agreed. The hedge is owned by the Army Fly Fishing Association; their local manager, Martin Brown, should keep the hedge trimmed or allow the Parish Steward to do it. Cllr. Vaughan-Edwards agreed to speak to Martin Brown and the Parish Steward

 

b.      Finger post on The Pound. Cllr. Morgan stated the father of a local resident has agreed to make a new one, provided the Council donates £100 to a local charity or worthy cause.

It was RESOLVED to donate £100 to a local charity or worthy cause in exchange for a new finger post on The Pound.

 

c.      The two green footpath finger-signs pointing to the church are missing some letters which need replacing. It was agreed that the Clerk would ask Wiltshire Council to improve the two footpath finger-signs pointing to the church.

 

d.      The two posts supporting the Fittleton village sign north of the village are severely rusted with holes in them. It was agreed that the Clerk would ask Wiltshire Council to repair or replace the two posts supporting the Fittleton village sign north of the village.

Post Meeting Note: Mary Towle has advised that this has already been reported, to the Wiltshire Council street scene team, but they may need chasing.

 

e.      Potholes on bend at Fittleton. It was agreed that Cllr. Vaughan-Edwards would discuss with the Parish Steward. The member of the public in attendance, Dot Georgeson, agreed to report the potholes on the My Wiltshire App.

 

f.      Flower Tubs. Cllr. Beckingham agreed to replace the existing damage tub on The Pound with flower beds. Cllr. Jago has purchased two tubs, placed them on the grass area on the road bend outside Fittleton church and Fittleton House, and planted suitable flowers.

 

g.      Gutters need cleaning. This has been done by Wiltshire Council’s contractor.

 

h.      New Christmas Lights. Cllr. Morgan agreed to arrange.

20/16

REPORT BY THE CLERK

Neil Darg-Forsyth replaced Mary Towle as Clerk to the Council on 1st July 2020. He has booked two WALC online Clerk training courses in August and September.

20/17

ACCOUNTS

a.      Bank balance as at 31st March 2020 £4,267.92

b.      Receipts

Wiltshire Council Precept £6,396.00

Allotment Rentals £490.00

£(2,635.26)

c.      Cheques authorised since last meeting:

Phoenix Hall donation plus clerk £1,646.00

Community First Insurance £192.52

Andrea Linscer, Internal Auditor £25.00

Victoria Jago, Flower Tubs £148.27

d.      Direct Debits & Standing Orders

Water2Business Allotments water £11.33

Mary Towle Wages (Apr-Jun) £565.74

HMRC Income Tax £28.40

e.       Balance as at 14th July 2020 £8,518.66  

 

f.      Approval to an Exemption of External Audit

It was agreed that as the turnover of the Parish Council is less than £25,000 per year, the Parish Council would apply for an exemption to the External Audit.

 

g.       Approval of Annual Governance Statement

The Council approved each question on the Annual Governance Statement.

 

h.       Approval of Accounts 2019/20

It was RESOLVED that the accounts for the year 2019/20 be approved.

 

i.       Change of signatories on Lloyds Bank mandate

It was RESOLVED that the outgoing Clerk, Mary Towle, should be removed from the bank mandate; and the incoming Clerk, Neil Darg-Forsyth and the Vice-Chairman, Simon Vaughan-Edwards, should be added onto the bank mandate.

 

20/18

CORRESPONDENCE

Nothing to report

20/19

ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING

Autumn Tidy Day

Christmas Get-together

20/20

REPORT FROM MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC

Dot Georgeson reported that the local library in Netheravon may never re-open. Wiltshire Council is currently running a consultation on options available for its 30+ libraries including:

a.      Order and collect, maximum of 10 libraries

b.      Order and collect plus bookable computer access, maximum of 10+ libraries

c.      Socially distanced browsing, maximum of 6 libraries due to resource constraints.

Dot agreed to email a link to the online consultation to all Council members.

20/21

DATE OF NEXT MEETING

Tuesday, 8th September 2020 at 7.30pm in Phoenix Hall, Netheravon