Minutes of the Fittleton cum Haxton Parish Council Meeting On Tuesday 6 September 2022, 19:30 hrs at Phoenix Hall

Download this document

- - -
Parish Councillors Present:Cllr Mrs Dorothea Georgeson (DG)Chair
Cllr Simon Vaughn-Edwards (SVE)
Cllr Mrs Corinne Gowman (CG)
Cllr Mrs Victoria Jago (VJ)
Cllr Mrs Sheila Symes (SS)
Cllr Paul Cranch (PC)
In Attendance:Cllr Ian Blair-Pilling (IBP)County Councillor
Apologies Received:Cllr Greg Morgan (GM)



Cllr Greg Morgan (GM)



There were no declarations of interest



There were no questions



Cllr Ian Blair-Pilling had three main points:

  1. The Stonehenge Area Board is to be held in the Phoenix Hall on September 22nd 2022.
  2. Community Governance Review (Boundary Review) There is a proposal to change the Netheravon parish boundary to encompass Netheravon Cemetery, the Married Service Quarters (MSQ) on Choulston Close and Kerby Avenue and Airfield Camp and associated MOD grounds. Any new boundary may affect Fittleton cum Haxton therefore the Parish Council will be advised of any changes as required. 
  3. Cost of Living – Wilshire Council will be considering what is to be done and they are also waiting to see which direction the government takes. Wiltshire Council are looking into all suggestions such as grants for people, community help, places to warm up. More information to follow.



Minutes of FcH Parish Council Meeting held on Tuesday 5th July 2022 agreed and accepted.

Copy of previous Minutes signed by the Chair.




a. Phoenix Hall - SS  

Phoenix Hall AGM and meeting held 12th July 2022.  Charles Coslett stepped down as Chair, Steve Perry became the new Chair, Caroline Aubrey-Fletcher is Vice Chair.  Booking clerk’s salary contribution from FcH PC to be reviewed annually.

The fitting of solar panels to the hall has been agreed.

The board will be looking at rental costs from April 2023. The public are encouraged to promote the hall. It has been suggested that any photos of parties or events should be sent to Caroline Aubrey-Fletcher to promote online. Accounts stand at £25,424.51 (solar panels to come out of this figure) 


b. Planning -CG/VJ 

Nothing to report


c. Footpaths & Rights of Way – SVE

Kevan Surgenor is our new Parish Steward. The latest visit concentrated on clearing drains, particularly around The Pound and The Old Tea Rooms.


 d. Transport & Highways 

Nothing to report.


e. Allotments - SS 

All plots are taken up. Nothing else to report.


f. Jubilee Committee - SVE 

Nothing to report.


g. Amesbury Area Board – DG/PC

Nothing to report. The next meeting is at the Phoenix Hall Netheravon on the 22nd September 2022.



Balance as at 6th September 2022:  £10,237.66

Transfers since last meeting:

£25 V Jago Fittleton flower tubs

£192.53 Community first insurance

£99.26 WALC Membership

£100.00 Netheravon school donation

£150.00 Netheravon Day Centre

£184.32 Enerveo (SSE) Xmas lights 2021

£5.00 Phoenix Hall rental for July

£36.00 Community First Membership

£30.00 Art Group

£200.00 PCC Fittleton donation

£76.00 Symes 30mph Signs



Opting out of SAAA. There is an option for Parish Councils to opt out. It was unanimously decided not to opt out. Proposed by CG and seconded by SVE.


Governance Review 

See Para 22/59 (2) above for detail.

Councillors agreed to register an interest with Lisa Alexander  Wiltshire Council cgr@wiltshire.gov.uk regarding this matter.



a.  St Johns ambulance donation request

Councillors agreed to review the request in 2022.

b.   Speed indicator on Everleigh Road

The council discussed and decided there is no obvious place to attach a speed indicator on that stretch of road. Buying a device and a pole would be expensive, minimum outlay would be £3400. Cost was discussed and decided that a cheaper option would be investigated.

It was agreed to review at the next meeting after options have been researched.


c.   Old School Fittleton Planning appeal

Nothing to report


d.   355 Fittleton 

A copy of the letter from Sean Williams the Planning Enforcement Team Leader was given to the homeowner. No further action required.


e. Parking around the pound

DG met with PSCO Pippa Brewer following a number of complaints about the volume of vehicles parking around and near The Pound. Following discussions, councillors have decided not to pursue a Traffic Regulation Order.


f.  The role of Parish Clerk going forward

The Parish Council has decided to advertise for a Clerk. This role is currently vacant and has been covered by the Chairperson.


g.   Winter fuel contingency plans

A meeting will be held at the Phoenix Hall 7th September at 12:30pm to discuss the way forward regarding this matter.


h.   Fittleton Church Bells

The hanging mechanism, clappers and other parts at Fittleton church are in desperate need of attention which means the bells can no longer be used until repairs are carried out.

A request to the Parish Council has been submitted to help with the cost of repairs. The council felt that the bells are an important feature of the village and agreed to donate £800 - 10% of the repair cost which stands at £8042 inclusive of current VAT.


i.   Salt Bin at the Pound

Wiltshire Council maintain that there has never been a salt bin on The Pound even though local residents remember one being there in the past. The Parish Council are still pursuing this matter and are hoping to find some evidence confirming this.



a.    Autumn Tidy Day

b.    Christmas Lights and arrangements for Christmas carols

DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 8 November 2022, 7.30pm Phoenix Hall, Netheravon.

*Members of the public are welcome to attend and to bring matters to the Council’s attention at this point in the meeting (max 3 mins per person). If a detailed response is required, it would be helpful for the clerk to receive your questions in advance of the meeting, in writing, preferably 5 days in advance of the meeting.